Eligibility Criteria for Charities
Only members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! - Halifax are eligible to nominate a charity/organization. There is no proxy voting.
In order to be considered to present at a meeting the charity must be:
- Based in the municipality of Halifax (Formerly HRM)
- A registered charitable organization able to provide charitable tax receipts for donations (verify with CRA here).
- Previously established for at least one year (no start-ups).
- No national or international charities, programs or organizations will be considered at this time as the focus is on contributing to our local community. Organizations with a national link may be nominated, however, provided the request is for a project to be delivered in HRM. The funds must stay in HRM.
- Programs within a large organization (e.g., a specific department or program within a hospital), will be considered if there is proof that this program is not funded by the organization or its foundation.
- Members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! - Halifax may nominate a charitable organization for consideration upon joining/renewing.
- Three (3) charities, previously verified as eligible by the core team, will be selected by blind draw two weeks prior to the quarterly meeting.
Basic Tips on Presenting
As is always the case in presenting - know your audience.
Members of 100 Men Who Give a Damn! Halifax members are busy and tend to be focused on results and efficiency. Their primary focus is to 'do something good' in their community, something that will have a big impact and will not get bogged down in red tape. So, some tips....
- Focus on the problem members donations would solve, the more specific the better!
- Share the story of who your charity supports and why that matters to the men in the room.
- Be efficient with the members' time, get to the point as quickly as possible.
- Try to avoid lumping in members' donations with a bigger cause or campaign - that's proven to be unappealing.
- Be direct about what you need - don't sugar-coat your Ask. If your charity doesn't get the most votes, a direct and clear request may still garner donations or volunteer hours from our membership afterwards.
- Be comfortable, you're in a room full of friendly people and all you have to lose is 5 minutes of your time!